India Adds Record Solar Power Capacity in 2017

India has reported a solar power capacity addition of 5,759 megawatts in 2017, by 30 September 2017. This is the highest-ever solar power capacity added in a calendar year in India. In fact, the solar power capacity added in the first nine months is more than the capacity added during the entire last year — 4,666 megawatts.

Around 10,140 megawatts of renewable energy capacity has been added during this time, which puts solar’s share at an impressive 57%. India added a net power generation capacity, across all technologies, of 17,011 megawatts in the first 10 months of the year. 34% of this came from solar, and 26% from wind, with the total share of renewable energy at 60%. This is in stark contrast with the current share of renewable energy in the total installed capacity of the country. Renewable energy capacity of 60.1 gigawatts forms just 18% of the total installed capacity of 331 gigawatts.

Capacity addition usually jumps in the first quarter of each year, however, solar power generation peaks during winter months and developers may rush to install their projects in the fourth quarter. This could lead to further growth in solar power capacity addition in the last three months of this year.